Monday, December 10, 2007

Good Morning



This photo was taken off the coast of Capetown, South Africa. It was truly a breathtaking sight. If I could transport back to a time in my life, this would be it. Having not seen land for 9 days in the middle of the endless blue ocean is a somewhat humbling feeling. It is powerful....

My thoughts are quickly jolted with a splash of polluted water to the front of me. I couldn't do anything but laugh and think "Only in New York." I felt the burn of tourists eyes as they whispered in their native tongues.

It is 8am and I just got off of work. There's a heavy feeling in the air. The buildings fade into the cloudy mist lying just above making their name "sky scraper" quite literal. I fight against the heavy flow of tourists and excited natives. We are all slaves to time!

It makes me stop and think sometimes, why all the rushing? What are we running toward? A deadline, finals, sunset...we all seem so lost in the rush of the social contruct of time. We fashion our lives around it. I think that is why I chose this picture. It is truly timeless...

The mountain stands silhoutted, a shadow puppet of the rising sun just behind it. It was this very moment in my life when I felt so small, so insignificant. All around me were mesmorized college students. I wondered what it was they were so mesmorized about. Was it that they too felt as if nothing else existed in the world but that mountain. That feeling welling inside of structure, of a surface to rest our feet upon. 9 days of traveling by ship...9 days of timeless sailing into the deep blue, hoping to see a sign of life, and seeing nothing but more water. This photo is devoid of that idea of time. In the four walls of this photo, time stood still and I was the onlooker!

No comments: